06 December 2022,   12:33
more
Six dead and 100 feared missing after tower block collapses in Lagos

At least six people have died after a luxury residential high-rise under construction in Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, collapsed, trapping construction workers under a pile of concrete rubble, the state emergency services chief said, writes The Guardian.

The official, Olufemi Oke - Osanyintolu, said a search and rescue effort had been launched for survivors late on Monday.

Witnesses said up to 100 people were missing and at least three survivors were pulled out on Monday night as rescue workers raced against the clock to dig up victims at the site in the affluent neighbourhood of Ikoyi, where many blocks of flats are under construction.

Workers said that as many as 100 people were at work when the building came crashing down.

MORE HEADLINES