Spanish authorities said they were investigating what they called a possible “terrorist” incident after a machete-wielding man attacked several people at 2 churches in the southern port city of Algeciras, killing at least one person, writes Reuters.
The man attacked clergymen at two different churches - San Isidro and Nuestra Senora de La Palma, around 300 metres apart - just after 8pm on Wednesday evening in downtown Algeciras, a spokesperson for the city said. A source at Madrid’s High Court said the incident was being investigated as terrorism.
Police said the attacker had been arrested, and a police source shared footage showing two officers escorting a man in a hooded sports top in handcuffs through a police station. Police have not released details of his name or nationality. Local media, including El Pais newspaper, said he was a 25-year-old Moroccan.
The man who was killed was Diego Valencia, a sacristan at the Nuestra Senora de La Palma church, while the titular priest of the parish church of San Isidro, Antonio Rodriguez, was among the injured and is in serious condition, the Algeciras city spokesperson said.